Thai FA Cup 2011: favourites cruising through quarters

Thai League Cup and FA Cup Jay Lee Harris im Zweikampf


The quarter finals of the 2011 Thai FA Cup have seen all favourite sides cruising into the next round. While Songkhla FC reaches the semi finals for the first time in history.

For the first time in his history Songkhla FC made it to the semi-finals of the Thai FA Cup. With Regional League side Loei City, Songkhla got the easiest draw of all remaining teams. The third Division team from Loei made its way to the quarters by beating teams playing in leagues above them. After an arduous season with play-offs, Loei City might have been be ruined. Despite having the right to play at home and facing journeying visitors, it was not enough to write history to become the first 3rd league side in a semi final of the Thai FA Cup. Though the gap at half time was just one goal, in the end the visitors went away with a comfortable 0-4 win.

The opponent of Songkhla FC in the semi final will be Muang Thong United. The Thai league champion of 2009 and 2010 and 2010 FA Cup finalist had to deal with TPL relegation candidate Sriracha FC. In the comfort of his own home Muang Thong did not miss out on anything. It was former Liverpool striker and players coach Fowler who brought his side up front from the spot after 26 minutes. Sriracha goalkeeper Lucas Daniel fouled Dagno Siaka in the box and the penalty been the consequence. A great combination of interplay and first-class assist of Fowler led to a two goal lead right after the break, finished by Jakkraphan Pornsai. Thailand international Teerasil Dangda produced the final score line of 4-0 right before the end of the game. Sriracha coach Dusit Chalermsan stepped down immediately after the game.

Thai Premier League newly crowned champion and Newin Chidchob's god's troop, Burriam-PEA, had to take on BEC-Tero Sasana. Both sides clashed already during the league cup at same stage. As well as in September Buriram at the end kept the upper hand. After 19 minutes, international Suchao Nuchnum brought his team upfront at new i mobile stadium. Just a few minutes after, the visitors have been reduced to 10 men. Rangsan Viwatchaichok marked the final score of 2-0 with three minutes played in second half.

In the fourth match of the day Army United faced future Thai Premier League side Chainat FC. However, literally the game had to fall through. Right before kick off intense rain came down. Although the game was kicked off, it had to be abondend after a few minutes at 0-0.
The replay of the match, from the very first minute, is scheduled for this week Thursday at 18:00.

Because of time pressure all semi final matches are held the coming weekend in Bangkok. The winner of Army/Chaint will face Buriram-PEA at Rajamangala Stadium. Songkhla v Muang Thong is to be played at Army stadium. Both games are to kick off kickoff 18:00 local times on 7 January.
Legal Notice  |   Terms of use  |   Privacy policy

CSS Template by webjestic modiefied by Marko Pohl for

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
For more Details, take a look in our Imprint
2009 - 2020 by Thai Football | since 2009